Wednesday, 6 December 2017

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf of Pakistan: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi

Hi Blog,
       Sorry I have been away for a long time. I will try not to do that again. But dont get your hopes high, I am a lazy ass. So why I am returning now. Honestly it was a dream. What an interesting thing dreams are. I wonder what Freud or Jung would have said about dreaming a blog.
   Lets come to the topic. Now Mr. Ghamidi is one interesting fellow. He is making a lot of people uneasy. I like these kinds of people. YouTube suggested me one of his videos in which he was being asked 'tough' questions. That's what the video title said. Couldn't find any toughness in the video though. Publicity stunts everywhere. APPARENTICISM. I was expecting the red squiggle. Will talk about this some other time. I couldn't watch the complete video. It was above my stamina which finishes at 5 min. But it was enough to grip me. I talked with Awais about him. He gave me green signals. So I started watching more  of his videos. Just when I was about to make my mind that this man is Shaykh Hamza Yusuf of Pakistan, Mr. Ghamidi said something about Sufism which was contrary to Shyakh Hamza's view. I had to step back a little. Then I contemplated. Analyzed the two personalities on my level(though that is no level in front of these respected scholars) by gathering all the similarities and differences. They both have a vast amounts of knowledge. They both have studied philosophy. Both have a good sense of humor. Both posses that humbleness found in wise people. People listen to them and learn from them. A lot of people. Mr. Ghamidi visits USA to deliver lectures but sadly Shaykh Hamza never came to Pakistan. He must. Point is both are scholars at a global level.
   I couldn't find any major differences. Except for their philosophy on Sufism. I mean I haven't researched their whole lives. Just what i learned from their online lectures. Hope to meet them someday and learn more. Now Islam respects differences. And above mentioned difference is just like all other differences. Its not even a major difference considering what we see in society.
   After some contemplation I could see Shaykh Hamza in Mr. Ghamidi again. They are supposed to have differences. Firstly they are human beings. Every human being is unique. Beauty of Allah's creation. They are both from different regions. Led very different lives. One converted to Islam. Other was born in a Muslim family. And many other things.
   What I saw unique in Mr. Ghamidi was the reconstruction of Islam and love of knowledge. Previously I had only found that uniqueness in Shaykh Hamza. I mentioned Shaykh Hamza in my review of the Iqbal's book "The Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam". Now writing the review I would have mentioned both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Richard Flanagan: Life After Death

 Its been long since I have written anything on this blog. Where I have been? Lost or in a search probably and hopefully. Anyways, I just fi...