Saturday, 2 March 2019

'YOU CAN SEE THE SOUND'

Sometime during the reign of Ayub Khan, Nehru visited Pakistan. During this visit, keeping in mind the intellectual level and achievements of Nehru, Ayub asked him what qualities do you expect in a Pakistani leader. Nehru wasn't expecting such a question. He was known to start looking the ceiling whenever he was bored. But on this question he started looking down and kept on thinking for some time. Then he answered ....

He said that a Pakistani leader must completely memorize and understand ALLAMA IQBAL. Ayub khan didn't expect such answer as well. Fighting for the British before independence and after for seat he never thought of reading and understanding Iqbal. About Nehru, it is related that he used to visit Iqbal and while visiting he used to sit on the floor vis-a-vis Iqbal sitting on a chair.

Iqbal for most Pakistanis is now just a national poet and nothing more. I'm not an exception. But from time to time I feel this longing to quit everything and start my journey towards Iqbal yet I lack courage for such move. So I collect bits and pieces from here and there to increase my understanding. A condition of awe takes over me when i read and try to understand Iqbal. He feels like a person of higher and another realm. He calls himself 'A Desperate Soul'....

Recently I came upon a very beautiful video of 'Javed Nama' Manajat of Iqbal. I can keep on listening and listening this immortal poem. I am beginning to understand why Nehru said what he said about Iqbal mentioned above. Here is a link to the video
                                                       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSAC-2FQ8k
                                                                                
Please share your thoughts about Iqbal or the link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Richard Flanagan: Life After Death

 Its been long since I have written anything on this blog. Where I have been? Lost or in a search probably and hopefully. Anyways, I just fi...