Thursday, 7 March 2019

Review: پیر کامل

پیر کامل پیر کامل by Umera Ahmed
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

No doubt the reviews about this book are highly exaggerated portraying this book like some kind of a classical masterpiece which is beyond any ratings. However, the book is very well written and provides a sound understanding of some religious and philosophical concepts. The beauty of this book lies in answering the basic questions of life that are What is our purpose of living or What is important in life and what is not? Explained in very simple and fictitious form.

The way Salar passes through various stages of life is a mirror to every human beings transformation and lost chances of transformation throughout of his life. In the beginning he is shown to be pursuing a hedonistic lifestyle and slowly comes to realize that life is larger than this. This concept has never been more important than today. So much abundance and advancement in pleasure seeking methods that it is very hard to get out of the "gutter". But once in a blue moon every one is given a chance to wake up to reality and then a choice is to be made.

One thing which is often ignored about this book is its religious/sectarian aspect. I mean whoever told me about this never mentioned this except one person who just mentioned it in a cursory way. I found this to be very strange that author is clearly portraying one group of people as non-Muslims as somehow promoting some hidden agenda. Although I am doubtful about the agenda thing. I think no Muslim is in position to judge and declare anyone that he is out of faith or whatever. It is my own opinion but I am ignorant man. I might be wrong. Leave it to Ulemas to decide but it was the silence on this very important part of the book seemed strange to me.

Apart from the philosophical and religious part, it is a beautiful love story. During the whole book I was in a suspense when they will be together and what will be the topic of conversation. How it will proceed. At times I thought lets just go to last pages and read it but I remained patient. And it served me well as it was an amazing story leading up to a great ending. 

In the end as always I am grateful to author for writing such a book. I learned some very important concepts especially with respect to religion which I could never learn from scholars. This happens in real life too. You get unexpected things at unexpected places.
Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Richard Flanagan: Life After Death

 Its been long since I have written anything on this blog. Where I have been? Lost or in a search probably and hopefully. Anyways, I just fi...